Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 03:56:14 pm
Check the old forum > Home Help Login Register
News: --------------------------------
Non official version
skal.ru 4000
--------------------------------
1.5 player is in MUD and chromatic is already stored (c)

--------------------------------
Registration is disabled due to numerous spam bots.

+  Solace MUD Official Forum
|-+  Solace Development
| |-+  Ideas
| | |-+  'where'
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 'where'  (Read 23714 times)
schelkunchik
« on: May 09, 2006, 11:42:27 pm »

This is how it looks now:

where

Players near you:
(PK) Niniel     The room of all sources

It could be upgraded like:

where

You look around you and see Niniel in The room of all sources or
You quickly search the area and notice Niniel in the room of all sources or
Your quick eye catches Niniel in the room of all sources.
noober

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 11:57:31 pm »

..or remove the where command altogether considering this is a RP mud
Proph

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 12:08:07 am »

And watch how many people quit because of being randomly PK'd whenever they're ranking....

Nothing is too much to hope for.
Habbakuk
The Skylord
Immortal

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 12:57:21 am »

You quickly search the area and notice Niniel in the room of all sources
Actually, you don't search the area and notice Niniel. It's some sort of OOC information. You don't know how but you just hell know it.

It's like writing 'You hold twenty five levels in the guild of warriors so far.' in your score instead of 'Class: fighter, Level: 25' Smiley

And while I'm both hands for RP-like stuff, I must admit it may affect gameplay adversely.
schelkunchik
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 01:16:54 am »

And while I'm both hands for RP-like stuff, I must admit it may affect gameplay adversely.

Well, whatever, decision is upon you.
But to be more precise, it is not complete truth that it will affect gameplay, because the same command 'where' would stay unchanged. Only the appearance of command would be changed from rough to more subtle.
To be honest, new artifacts affects gameplay too (not adversely, but it is still on beta phase to be completely sure), and in much more amount, so i dont think it is good argument.
PS.  Well, it may affect PK speed for 0.2 - 0.5 msecs, but it isnt making any difference in 99% of cases.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 01:44:28 am by schelkunchik » Logged
schelkunchik
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 01:31:03 am »

Actually, you don't search the area and notice Niniel. It's some sort of OOC information. You don't know how but you just hell know it.

Well, yes, i know i dont search area, i am not 6 years old,
but 'Players near you:
(PK) Niniel     The room of all sources'
sounds, how i could say it,  too mechanical and formal, only  PK oriented.
A small doze of imagination at this place cant hurt...
noober

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 09:50:01 am »

And watch how many people quit because of being randomly PK'd whenever they're ranking....

As a newish player to the mud it seems the real benefit of the where command is by experienced players who know the world thoroughly and use where as a hunting tool as opposed to a self defense tool, which is fine I have no problem with experienced people benefiting... But said players type "who", see someone they want to kill in their rankrange, go to all the feasible areas a person of similar rank may be ranking, type "where", if said player is in the zone, one immediately knows where they are, if player is not in zone, next zone is gone to, rinse and repeat.

In a self defense situation one just types where every 10 seconds which is:
A) annoying, and at some points I have just set the "where" command on a 10 second repeating trigger.
B) wouldn't be needed if where wasn't a hunting tool.
C) unroleplayish

I admit maybe I am too newbish and don't understand all of the more RP methods of hunting people that are or are not being used, but wherehunting seems to be very common.
schelkunchik
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 10:44:02 am »

to totally remove 'where' would make playing and pking very complicate...it is not practical
Matthew

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2006, 02:09:06 pm »

Comming from muds that do not have 'where' tools and no level restricted pk i can say that it is without a doubt a tool to benifit hunters. The benifit to victims most of the time is miniscule compared to the hunter. Its amazing how lazy you can be and still hunt people down, without it to hunt someone growing in trolls for example, you would have to go to trolls and move through/scan every room until you found him/her. Whereas, without where victim is growing, hunter enters the room, RUNNN! With not so many zones to grow in though it is not much effort to walk through every zone at the moment. If there were a  half dozen or so zones to rank in for every 5 levels id be all for removing 'where'.

I don't want it back. You can never get rid of the smell, you know. Besides, that dagger was Flint's!
Niano
Lifetime Member

When your fire goes out, so too shall mine...

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2006, 09:22:48 am »

Perhaps put a new limit on where command. Instead of showing whole area, mabey make it more interesting. In thick forests, perhaps limit where command to show mabey people only within say 4-6 rooms of you. On plains, perhaps whole area. Same for deserts possibly. Cities, limit it to mabey only 3-5 rooms. Rough numbers, don't take them to be set in stone, just throwing the idea out.

When the first living thing existed, I was there, waiting. When the last living thing dies, my job will be finished. I'll put the chairs up on the tables and lock the universe behind me when I leave.
Habbakuk
The Skylord
Immortal

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2006, 11:26:33 pm »

Hmm.. anyone is for Niano's idea?
Lady Lunitari
Immortal

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2006, 11:35:09 pm »

Against.
Sgt Pepper

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2006, 11:57:58 pm »

*thumbs up*  Cheesy

Run my little chunks of xp, RUN!
Quino

Vicious IRC marauder

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2006, 12:01:43 am »

Not sure it will be be comfortable.

You have to get rid of the Russians. 90% of these maggots play this game just to cheat and piss off the others [...] who roleplay
deda

Obnoxious IRC whining alien dog

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2006, 12:22:47 am »

It would make summon completely useless and gate and tesseract overpowered, Pkwise...

Make yourself all honey
...and the flies shall devour you

... Keep on rotting in the free world!...
Proph

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2006, 02:28:35 am »

Wholly against the idea. Sometimes when you're searching for books or eq or whatever, you have to be able to see everyone in the whole area to have time to prepare for an attack. 4-6 spaces would not be nearly enough.

I respect the idea Niano, but if you use your logic then the WHO command should reveal no one Sad

Nothing is too much to hope for.
novann
Premium Member

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2006, 07:50:03 am »

Hey, let us say then: How do you know who is in the world now typing 'who'? How do you tell someone in Edges something being at Palanthas by 'tell' command? Funny. Lets remove this crap and all be happy *joke*. If you dont like where command I can advice not to show the room where player is now.

where

(PK) Dude  is somewhere near you.
Dervish
Premium Member

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2006, 03:58:56 pm »

by the way it would be interesting to play a bit (to try I mean) the game without 'who', 'where', 'tell' etc Smiley
everyone who seeks group will gather on market square
notes will become very popular
to speak chars must meet directly etc )
deda

Obnoxious IRC whining alien dog

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2006, 04:35:07 pm »

No way, Dervish! I like to talk with all my ingame friends, and sometimes it's impossible to be in the same room with them... As for grouping at Pal ms - are you trying to give Narin and other lowbie/newbie/shinies collectors a head start so that they even needn't stretch their legs in order to find their victims? And I send letters when someone is in the quiet mode...

Make yourself all honey
...and the flies shall devour you

... Keep on rotting in the free world!...
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length