Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:52:09 pm
Check the old forum > Home Help Login Register
News: --------------------------------
Non official version
skal.ru 4000
--------------------------------
1.5 player is in MUD and chromatic is already stored (c)

--------------------------------
Registration is disabled due to numerous spam bots.

+  Solace MUD Official Forum
|-+  Solace Development
| |-+  Ideas
| | |-+  Official Poll: Solace Area Rearrange
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Official Poll: Solace Area Rearrange  (Read 34589 times)
Matthew

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2008, 06:24:54 am »

Perhaps i shall reword my suggestion because it seems it was not understood. By 'roads around the cities' i mean access to all area's without entering a city. Meaning a little more complicated road network, rather than a literal 'road' around the city... though in some cases it might not be avoided... I do not consider Qualinost as such a 'city' as it is suppose to be a forest city... and one i think warders should be able to enter.

PS. Warders current location is silly. You absolutely must either ride your griffon (which sucks for people who need other pets) or walk through Kalaman along a huge long road to the crossroads to get to all major enemies... Warders should be south of your current xroads or north of it in your 'new' forests, KoT near Sanction, Tower in wayreth.

PPS. Need solace? I will build it... take me maybe two weeks... wayreth and its forest area too if you like the tower idea....

I don't want it back. You can never get rid of the smell, you know. Besides, that dagger was Flint's!
Caleb
Premium Member

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2008, 11:24:00 am »

think about wayreth. As i came to realize earlier., no one can get through the forest
unless the mages allow it. So if we followed dragonlance and RP. TECHNICALLY no
one would ever be able to raid.

I think it should be built though Smiley
my two cents Smiley
dedraelos
Lifetime Member

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2008, 11:46:22 am »

Was thinking the exact same thing, but in my opinion almost all clan areas are too basic and could be improved greatly. Why only one outer and one inner for each clan. Why not a small legion of solamnic knights. Or....at least something.
Matthew

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2008, 12:34:15 pm »

I thought about that a little, not sure i really have a solution yet... i can't remember but didn't the forest revert to normal during the age of mortals?

EDIT: Aye, without normal magic and no highmage or master of the tower to renew the enchantment each month the forest reverted to normal and since the spell to enchant the forest was destroyed it could not be redone from scratch.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 01:51:47 pm by Matthew » Logged

I don't want it back. You can never get rid of the smell, you know. Besides, that dagger was Flint's!
moq
Lifetime Member

IRC pet priest

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2008, 07:13:19 pm »

The Atlas of the Dragonlance World -- http://www.rapidshare.ru/533175

P.S. idk, probably this thing is copyrighted  :-)

We will descend
On anyone unable to defend
Themselves
Quino

Vicious IRC marauder

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2008, 12:12:34 am »

I'd like to see dragonlance's slamori->pax hidden way, I have ideas where it should've been located.

You have to get rid of the Russians. 90% of these maggots play this game just to cheat and piss off the others [...] who roleplay
Moon_Face
Premium Member

Ahuna Matata!

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2008, 09:59:06 pm »

There are not so much people around to split them by long distance.
I know solace for almast ten years and all these years it was beatiful.
To keep it and to remember first builders we should not lose a heart of this world.

P.S. And if truth i do not like when new generation destroies things which were built by many people for many years. They never see a sense just because of low expirience.

sh*t happens...
dedraelos
Lifetime Member

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2008, 10:45:51 pm »

I also mourn people who desire to keep something wrong just because it's old. If there is an opportunity to change something to make it better, why not take advantage of it. Solace has many areas that are not related to dragonlance, and the map is wildly inconsistent with the world of Krynn. I've played Solace for about 7 years now and I applaud these endeavors whole heartedly.

Not everything new is bad. I don't support many new changes that will make the game too easy, but fighting change just because you got used to the way things used to be shows not lack of experience, but ignorance.

I don't mean that as personal attack Moon_Face, just disagree with your point of view with fervor.
Lizzy
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2008, 12:30:41 am »

Just explain something to an OLD one - why must it BE like Dragonlance? Yes, it is BASED on Dragonlance, an idea is almost always based on something, but that doesn't mean it has to BE like the idea.

Ok. Fix up the areas, join them to other places so that it makes a bit more sense. Give it more of a connection - but it doesn't or shouldn't have to BE like Dragonlance. Remember, it is just BASED on Dragonlance. There are many other MUDS I am sure that are LIKE Dragonlance.

Solace had something unique. Lets not loose that uniqueness.
dedraelos
Lifetime Member

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2008, 01:04:11 am »

It doesn't have to be exactly like dragonlance, but what is wrong with reconstructing areas to make it more like a map of Krynn? The only thing I can see that might bother some people is the need to relearn where are few areas are and that doesn't seem like a reason to stop it. One reason to make it as close to dragonlance as possible is atmosphere. It is very much easier to create a "feeling" of the dragonlance world if the jarring mistakes are modified.

One of the main reasons I started playing Solace, and continue to this day is because I love the world of dragonlance so much. It's fun for me to visit places in the game that I read about in books, but for me, and I'm only speaking for myself, places from other games/books decrease the ambiance. I'd like to see some of the places like Myth Drannor, not taken away, but altered slightly to fit better into the world of Krynn.
Tanis Half-Elven
Immortal

« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2008, 11:42:20 pm »

There are not so much people around to split them by long distance.

Distance may be slightly longer, but time taken to walk the distance will be shorter (unless you have memorized exact path, or use some sort of trigger). More importantly, the path will be much easier for new players to use; currently, without directions it would be nearly impossible for a newbie to find Nethosak. And also quite hard to find Qualinost.

P.S. And if truth i do not like when new generation destroies things which were built by many people for many years. They never see a sense just because of low expirience.

We still have active immortals who have been immortals for at least 8 years, and who were playing solace before that. And although this is not from the beginning of Solace's time, we also keep contact with the old immortals from even earlier times.

---

That being said; I understand that the world was built in a certain way, and that changing the world could have unforseen effects. However, I also always felt that the world was not perfect, and that an area such as nethosak was placed in haste, rather than in pre-meditated thought.
Lizzy
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2008, 06:48:08 am »

Changing the world to make more sense, to connect up senselessly placed areas and such is a good thing. But to make it like the book (no idea what that is like anyway) well, you could loose the uniqueness of Solace. What does Chemosh have to say about all the changes anyway, or doesn't he have a hand in the world anymore?

My "objections" for want of a better word, have nothing to do with finding precious items, as I have no idea where they are to start with. So rule out that one for me thanks. I am only a basic player when I do play. Why do I play then? As I keep saying - it is unique, it is a world different to other MUDS.

We hear so much about making it like that other game - ummm - Carrion Fields I think? Suggestions and ideas from another MUD makes it almost like it, a clone. Do we want a clone? Even a clone of Dragonlance books? Ok, use the concept of the areas maybe. Add them as new areas, but hey - send me a map and mark where to find the shinies!!!  Grin Grin

Caleb
Premium Member

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2008, 07:42:32 am »

Oh dear jemma you never change.
It's understandable, i know you are just comming to know the world and now we are moving
it around, but everyone should know that a map has been made available to you. Anything
that isnt shown on the map merely means that it has stayed connected to whatever area
has been shown.

We also wouldnt be having a poll if it hadnt been agreed upon by all immortals.

Making it at least somewhat look like the dragonlance map DOESNT MAKE US AT
all like any other mud. All our areas are unique and unused in other muds, even
if it was the general same direction, areas can vary so much that it would make
it completely different anyways.

We will NEVER EVER be carrion fields. Hopefully one day the playbase, but other
then that i pray to god we enver are.

I personally hate that mud. I guess i never  truly gave it a chance, but tried it a few
times and got fed up and left
Lizzy
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2008, 09:35:36 am »

Oh dear jemma you never change.

I but everyone should know that a map has been made available to you. Anything
that isnt shown on the map merely means that it has stayed connected to whatever area
has been shown.

Ah, why change when something is so - perfect - like - meeeeeeeeeeee (ok ok. so I am ROFLMBO)

A map has been available to me? WHERE? WHEN? I must have missed the post!!! Send it to me again PLLLLLLZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Connect the dots - great. Make new areas ok. Fine. But keep the simplicity of the areas. Keep the uniqueness of Solace. Keep the originality. Just don't make is so like a book.
Matthew

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2008, 09:54:20 am »

There are lots of good reasons to base Solace on dragonlance, for instance... It helps to enforce RP in many ways. An good example is quests based on adventures in the books, or area's containing what remains after such adventures which can give clues to solving quests. To solve such quests you need to have read the books, be quite clever or have very good friends who are one or the other.

As a newbie I entered solace because it was based on dragonlance. It was difficult to grasp the way area's were arranged and as there is no discernable timeline some questions i was asked in my first induction were almost impossible to answer correctly. One was 'From where do the Knights of Takhisis base thier attacks on Solamnia'. I thought about it for a minute cause my first answer would have been Storms Keep (i would so like to build that too Tongue) but i said Sanction, cause i knew there was no Storms Keep area in the game so therefore i thought he must mean the Sanction era. But that was wrong too! Anyways, alot of people come to solace because it is a dragonlance mud.

I have tried to get friends playing here who are also interested in dragonlance muds but they see new thalos and arkham and find out where silvanesti is and other things which are stray of dragonlance like pure elemental mages and pure necromancer mages which rule all and its to wierd for them. Its kind of embarrasing so i don't bother anymore.

PS. the map is at the begining of this topic

deda

Obnoxious IRC whining alien dog

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2008, 06:56:33 pm »

Does it mean a pwipe?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 12:34:03 am by deda » Logged

Make yourself all honey
...and the flies shall devour you

... Keep on rotting in the free world!...
Tanis Half-Elven
Immortal

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2008, 03:10:23 am »

Does it mean a pwipe?

No.
Kstatida
High Member

« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2014, 01:22:35 pm »

- Only rp way I could come up for this situation is forest areas like flight areas..but this is too much code I imagine.  Like a forestwalk skill for druids and rangers or pathfinding skill for warders and cobar.  Whereby they find hidden trails in uncivilized wooded areas.  For example a forest route from woods south of palanthas to woods south of crossroads but Im just playing devil's advocate against myself I suppose.  I dont think its a great idea.

Every city has a way around it, it's natural. It has always been like that, at least for the large carts that bypass. It should not necessarily be a safe way though.
Kstatida
High Member

« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2014, 01:25:11 pm »

Nice new map by the way. The nicest feature is that popular ranking areas are located at the far locations through the map so more of the areas will be visited more frequently.
Kstatida
High Member

« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2014, 01:30:39 pm »

What does Chemosh have to say about all the changes anyway

He would like the idea, at least I have heard the similar thoughts from him more than once.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length