Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:55:11 pm
Check the old forum > Home Help Login Register
News: --------------------------------
Non official version
skal.ru 4000
--------------------------------
1.5 player is in MUD and chromatic is already stored (c)

--------------------------------
Registration is disabled due to numerous spam bots.

+  Solace MUD Official Forum
|-+  Solace Development
| |-+  Ideas
| | |-+  Idea for a Knight skill
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Idea for a Knight skill  (Read 4121 times)
omledufromage

See you space cowboy...

« on: February 02, 2010, 10:01:02 am »

I've been thinking about knights in the past few hours, and an idea for a skill came to mind.
I know for a fact that if a lawful knight has superb roleplay, he wouldn't attack anyone inside the city, but he also wouldn't lay around and watch the victim's death while waiting for the Guardians to appear and uphold justice. What I've seen a knight do once, was follow the person who was being attacked and heal her/him while asking to be grouped, then he would use rescue skill to join battle passively, by protecting the victim.

My idea is, a skill in which you target at a friend, and if he/she is attacked, you throw yourself in front of her. Could be named "Martyr's Interception". Something like this:

Nierth yells, "Help! Argonar is trying to smash me!"
Razlen bravely intercepts Argonar's attack, and takes the blow in Nierth's place.
Argonar's crushing blow  *** DEMOLISHES *** Razlen!

Argonar's flaming bite MUTILATES Razlen!
Razlen's downward crush maims Argonar!

etc...

Of course, there are things about balance to consider. Overall it looks like a different kind of "rescue". It should have some lag after it is checked (1 turn lag), and it would not check charge set, since the knight was not the original target. By intercepting, the knight obviously continues the fight, and the original target is not included in battle, thus keeping it a 1vs1 battle (or 1vs more, in case the attacker is grouped).

Some skills would obviously pass right through it, and some skills would be more difficult to intercept. I'd say, if the knight cannot see the agressor, then it is harder (but not impossible) to intercept the attack. Skills such as assasinate, nightfist and strangle would provide no possibility for the knight to intercept, while backstab and ambush would be much more difficult.
As you can see, it is a matter of possibility. With mastered skill, on normal attacks/murder knight would succeed X% (maybe 100%?) of the time, against backstab (70%), against hidden backstab (50%), against nightfist (0%)... etc... Maybe "pull" and any skill under the "dash" command could ignore totally.
And last but not least, the skills affects: It would affect the knight "permanently" while he and the guarded ally are in the same room. Something like:

'Martyr's interception - Nierth' affects none permanently

Nierth goes east.
You stop guarding Nierth from harm.

Ideas? Suggestions? Comments?

PS: Nierth, I hope you don't mind that I borrowed you for the skill preview.  Grin
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 11:15:40 am by Argonar » Logged

c'mon, just relax and try to imagine that you're just a letters on the screens of other people Grin
omledufromage

See you space cowboy...

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 11:16:05 am »

And it shouldn't be possible to use this on your own mount.

c'mon, just relax and try to imagine that you're just a letters on the screens of other people Grin
kepasa
Premium Member

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 12:24:46 pm »

sounds good.
n00b
Lifetime Member

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 01:38:00 pm »

Sounds good if it appears after mastering and have some restrictions

For example.
It requiers perfecting rescue. raisinf shield block and parry to 80%.
You can intercept only if you have shield.
When you perfect parry - you can intercetp without shield.
Interception requiers trust from your groupmembers.
You can not intercept if blind.
etc

Heretics never die, they just go to hell and regroup!
I will never response to khiren's messages on forum. No more. I promise! To myself and everyone.
omledufromage

See you space cowboy...

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 01:41:38 pm »

Good idea, n00b! I only disagree about it requiring trust from group members. If someone trusts me or not, it doesn't stop me from jumping in front of him to protect him, does it?

n00b
Lifetime Member

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 05:39:42 pm »

Good idea, n00b! I only disagree about it requiring trust from group members. If someone trusts me or not, it doesn't stop me from jumping in front of him to protect him, does it?

1. To hastly intercetp attack you should bash victim aside sometime. If this one not trust you, he can drive dagger in your back. He will think you attack him.
2. If I wish to stay in front to train my defense skills I will not allow knight to autorescue me.

Heretics never die, they just go to hell and regroup!
I will never response to khiren's messages on forum. No more. I promise! To myself and everyone.
Kage

"He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy."

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 07:08:51 pm »

- I like the concept, like a bodyguard skill.  I would recommend it lag both the knight and attacking player while removing the bodyguarded player from combat or else it is just a glorified rescue.  I think it should also have to be set and reset after triggering with a lag.

-  I also agree some mastering of related skills would be necessary.  This also has to be only useable on players not mobs, and ineffective if the attacking player is out of your PK range and possibly even if they are attacking and lawful good.

-The best part about this conversation... is we never have to have it again.                             - Archangel Gabriel
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length