Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:46:05 am
Check the old forum > Home Help Login Register
News: --------------------------------
Non official version
skal.ru 4000
--------------------------------
1.5 player is in MUD and chromatic is already stored (c)

--------------------------------
Registration is disabled due to numerous spam bots.

+  Solace MUD Official Forum
|-+  General
| |-+  Newbies Section
| | |-+  Hit/Dam/AC and damage reduction
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Hit/Dam/AC and damage reduction  (Read 1880 times)
n00b
Lifetime Member

« on: September 22, 2014, 12:09:37 pm »

2 Moderators.

I doubt I disovered something secret here. But if I did - delete please. If not - remove moderator's warning from title please Smiley

Actually

Damroll affects how heavily you hit, Hitroll affects how easily you hit.

Hit roll is a versus AC component. It applies to THAC (To Hit Armor Class). There is no certain global formula for all cases. And it is different for all games.
But it works like that.

You roll a hit, first it checks defensive skills of the opponent parryd/dodge and so. Then it checks THAC if your hit-roll is low and enemies AC is high - THAC roll will fail and you will get "misses". AC may or may not affect damage reduction. But it definetly affects THAC. In mid end game everyone have good hitroll and you will need more then god-like AC to make them miss. So it is not wise to invest in high AC after certain level.

But in the begining at low or maybe even low-mid levels high AC can save you from hit. Even if your enemy have huge dam roll and can deliver *** DAMAGE *** to you he will miss because of THAC (but you will hardly find one who have huge dam without nice hit).

Damage reduction is one that works after THAC roll. It reduces damage, obvious.

This is basics of ROM/DIKU/D&D system that maybe was changed in Solace, or maybe not.

Check it, test it, seek new ways of gameplay.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 12:56:35 pm by Nierth » Logged

Heretics never die, they just go to hell and regroup!
I will never response to khiren's messages on forum. No more. I promise! To myself and everyone.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length