Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:49:25 pm
Check the old forum > Home Help Login Register
News: --------------------------------
Non official version
skal.ru 4000
--------------------------------
1.5 player is in MUD and chromatic is already stored (c)

--------------------------------
Registration is disabled due to numerous spam bots.

+  Solace MUD Official Forum
|-+  Solace Development
| |-+  Ideas
| | |-+  A fresh look at Storing Items
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: A fresh look at Storing Items  (Read 12734 times)
Proph

« on: February 22, 2006, 04:17:57 am »

This is just an idea that popped into my head after viewing someone's inventory with my thief and seeing 11 VERY limited, very useful items. I've also seen some chars walking around with 8 or more incredibly hard to get weapons and it leaves other players at a great disadvantage.

I think a good idea would be to limit the amount of rare (limited/powerful) items in a person's  inventory to 5 while they are fully equipped. So take for instance I have a mage who is wearing everything on his body, but still has room for a holding item-- so he can hold 6 limited things in his inventory. I guess assassins would have a slight advantage in this as they don't hold weapons (almost the same though), but that could be fixed in the future.

The number could also be higher or lower than 5, but you get my idea right? I think it would be great, because there would be a lot less full looting (and it would make it at least a little more difficult for lower ranked chars to full-loot higher ones). The only drawback I can see is certain people can't store tons of limited eq they probably don't plan to use (some people might be kinda angry about it, dunno).

Gimme ur fdbk plz
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 04:20:14 am by ProphallictiC » Logged

Nothing is too much to hope for.
arpade
Premium Member

Without light, there is no beauty, only suffering.

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 04:29:00 am »

*shrug* I have no problem with it. I cant recall myself having enough limited items to fill my inventory and my equipment slots. But i dont really think it would help the new players get much stuff... The experient players have more then one char and all have good equip. besides, this kind of thing only works when ppl have a according mentality, not when ikts a hard coded rule.
jemma
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 04:32:26 am »

fdbk? please explain?

Anyway, great thinking. Maybe limit holding to 3 even, and wearing to 5. Make it even harder? Heck, wait - I just found lots of interesting stuff - oooooh, maybe not?

No, all stupidity aside, I think it's good idea. At least, test it and see what problems arise, aside from all the bitching Wink
Proph

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 06:32:07 am »

Arpade,  there are plenty of people on the realms wearing all limited eq with tons in their inventory as well (mainly clanned, but also many unclanned). And this rule I'm suggesting doesn't just apply to people who are wearing nothing but limited eq. A person could have 2 non-limited bracers+non-limited rings, and in hisinventory were 8 limited weapons-- by the new standard this would be illegal because his character is already fully equipped.

This topic is not for my own benefit (because I only know where about half the limited stuff is anyway), but mainly because I have heard lots of other players saying things like  "I can't locate **** for so long" or "Did you see so-and-so using this weapon? It's my favorite and I can't get it." The fact remains that with the current system, people can play for half an hour a day and still hoarde 25+ limited items.

Jemma: The fdbk was non-existent abbreviation-speak for feedback. I just went a little overboard because I had already typed "ur" and "plz". Something tells me this will become widely used. (P.S. Is that picture really you?)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 06:39:58 am by ProphallictiC » Logged

Akhulas
High Member

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 08:40:51 am »

stupid idea.
my mages/assassin always have almost epmty inventory (backpack and 1-2 items maybe)
but my fighters/rangers/outcasts and even clerics always had a full inventory.
that is a fate of fighter class - hold many weapons with many dam types.
so if you implement this idea - fighter-like classes will suffer.
Critic

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2006, 08:44:46 am »

sure.

I think I know name of that person ))

Though you noticed that it was all WEAPON

Why do you think that person didn't store 11 rings?

Because he is fighter, and he needs many different weapons to make different damage to different targets.

Or, flowing to this idea, let invokers know only 3 or 5 spells at one moment?  Grin

Try to play with fighter with only 5 weapons, I would like to see how it will effective

Vsem piz*i, a krilya mne!
novann
Premium Member

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2006, 08:57:51 am »

Hey, no offence, but it is bad idea. Proph, there are a lotsa stuff now around, go and get it.
And it is hard for Imms to code I hope. As for me I drop or sell unuseful armors and have a safe complect on non-limits in backpack for full loot and returning a backpack. (Backpack have much weight, so it often stays at the corpse). Even it is hard to play light races (like elves) with limits in inventory (you cant loot the others or use potions and scrolls nicely and so on).
The best storagers (I talking about inventory) now I seen is Kamilla *wink* and Erty. Hey Erty you have 1.5 more items in inventory then you wear. Though Kamilla is a woman and we can apologize her *smile*.
But there is a little amount of players, that make me sick. Sometime only 3-4 players in Realms...
Kolin
Premium Member

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006, 09:04:12 am »

Bad idea. Not because storage isn't a problem, but there is a much more obvious logistical problem: What happens when you die and try to loot corpse? G all wear all g all wear all. It will cause problems. Imagine you are pked under your inner and are fighting against those that will not give you time to slowly reloot.

Critic

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2006, 09:37:58 am »

The best storagers (I talking about inventory) now I seen is Kamilla *wink* and Erty. Hey Erty you have 1.5 more items in inventory then you wear.

You are wrong, Erty holds only two weapon, but carries about 10, so he has 5 more weapon in inventory.

Though I don't understand meaning of word "storing" in this case.

He has backpack, shield and belt (cause belt of trophies can crumble) in inventory. All other stuff if whips, flail, daggers and staves (he has such specializations), and all this stuff is in use.

So still I can't see any "storage" from his side, he doesn't carry axes, or another weapon, or other crap.

Don't know about Kamilla, some items in her inventory are used,  I saw, can't say anything about all others...

Vsem piz*i, a krilya mne!
Nierth
Your bane, your curse
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2006, 10:05:10 am »

Bad idea.. cause then someone just wont be able to carry items for you waiting when you enter realms, Phallen  Wink

To novann.. Well, I have 2 weapons (to change dt), 3 items which I use often (give some resistances), some things like vial and etc and may be one item which I do not use. And I would acept any accusation if I do not help other to gather eq almost all the time and think only about myself, but it's not true. Smiley
I will not call any name here.. Everybody should watch themselves first of all.

wbr.
Proph

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2006, 10:12:17 am »

Jeez, I said before I didn't do this for any selfish or biased reasons. You want to know who the person was carrying 11 limited items in his inventory I saw with my thief? It was my thief. HAH!

Bad idea. Not because storage isn't a problem, but there is a much more obvious logistical problem: What happens when you die and try to loot corpse? G all wear all g all wear all. It will cause problems. Imagine you are pked under your inner and are fighting against those that will not give you time to slowly reloot.

Kolin you (and others) don't seem to understand. I tried to explain it as simply as I could... it is a maximum of 5 limited items WHEN YOU ARE FULLY EQUIPPED. Simple enough?

Example: I get pk'd. I run to my corpse. My corpse has 20 limited Items. Get all cor/wear all (no need to wear and loot twice). I wear 15 limited, have 5 limited in inventory. Problems here? If anything it will help you if you are pk'd and others try to loot you because they can't loot all your limited things at once.

Akhulas: non-fighter classes have almost empty inventory? I doubt I could ever find one 35+ who is experienced in the realms that would not have extra limited things in their inventory (Shralar,Kamilla, Anarimma, several others). I'm not blaming those people,  and I'm not saying fighter must survive with only 5 weapons. Here's a math problem for you:

A fighter can wear two weapons at one time. A fighter can hold 5 limited items in inventory.

5+2 = ?

If you can't play a fighter with that many LIMITED weapons (so others can be in sack/inv) clearly there is a problem. And by the way, you seemed to completely not pay attention to my first post. I said the number did not NECESSARILY have to be five (it can be more or less). I really wish people would read my posts for their meaning instead of just picking out the parts that offend them personally and attacking me for it.

Another idea is to limit the total number of limited items a person can hold at one time (regardless of whether they are wearing them). I thought some people might not like this, but now I see how it could solve a few issues.

[Edit]Curse you Kamilla. My plans are foiled!  Tongue
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 10:18:06 am by ProphallictiC » Logged

novann
Premium Member

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2006, 10:20:06 am »

Ok, ok, Critic, no offence.
And I saw nice RP from ya yesterday - respect.
To Kamilla: at least chromatic complect kinda useful for trans, at your place I'll return it to Arpade, it will be in the frames on RP. I can carry many items which I can change from time to time and lets all do this, so we will have storage chars. Dont be greedy, return the not often used items to brothers *wink*. I see just a greed, not more from you. Apply to Hiddukel, the god of greed and RP yourself in such frames, then I will understand.
Just Imho, no offence, cause you're woman in RL (I hope). Womens think differ *shrug*.
to Propha: when you play a lot, you will understand, that the idea is bad. I play kindergartens MUDS where you cant get more then 3 items from corpse and so on and so forth. Let Solace be much more chaotic and cruel. As For me I prefer to play cruel world, not kindergarten.
Ares

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2006, 10:23:19 am »

IMO idea is not bad but should sound like that:
not more than 2 limited armours in your inventory if you're equipped (that doesn't rely to weapons, wands, scrolls, staves) -
because there are no strong IC reasons to carry many armours with you.
Nierth
Your bane, your curse
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2006, 10:25:34 am »

to Phallen, hey.. what a curse Embarrassed Tongue
One more point - remember clanmates or groupmates, who loot corpse of his folk not to allow enemy do this.

To Kamilla: at least chromatic complect kinda useful for trans, at your place I'll return it to Arpade, it will be in the frames on RP.
You are lucky, you are not on my place, babe Wink

Apply to Hiddukel, the god of greed and RP yourself in such frames, then I will understand.
Just Imho, no offence, cause you're woman in RL (I hope). Womens think differ *shrug*.
I do not play for you to understand me, sorry. No offence, cause you are man  Tongue
jemma
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2006, 03:26:04 pm »

Guess this is a touchy subject  Shocked

To ProphallictiC:

Thanks for explaining fbdk. I won't tell you what variations I came up with, and I was nowhere near.

And no. It is actually my 27 yo daughter  Grin hair to base of tailbone.  Shocked

Durewn
Premium Member

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2006, 05:22:20 pm »

I am against that system, but I will take it if imms will deside to implement it.

But I saw more logic implementation:
fo example lim 1 item cost 5 limpoints
lim 2 4 limpoints
lin 3-5 3 limpoints
etc.
Character has capacity of *lev*2-10) limpoints for example. This case more suitable.
You can get weapons that cost less for different damage type or you can prefer one exceptional item to another. So it is not just stupid limitation 5 lim in inv > it is more.

But in that case we will loose, seems, abbility to gain power for one persone to fight two or more foes. And thiefs will suffer as well.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 05:29:06 pm by Durewn » Logged
ORKAN
High Member

Fire and Water, Earth and Air ...

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2006, 11:15:00 am »

Didn't anyone looked this from another angle?

There is a simplest solution.

Limited items - make more of them!!!

If there is a shortage for, what 20-30 players, tell me what will happen when (and I hope when comes) there is more new players.

To make peace, one must first find the peace within.
Niano
Lifetime Member

When your fire goes out, so too shall mine...

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2006, 11:55:33 am »

Hmm, can just imagine mino fighter with two honor faces...

When the first living thing existed, I was there, waiting. When the last living thing dies, my job will be finished. I'll put the chairs up on the tables and lock the universe behind me when I leave.
Antarex
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2006, 12:14:04 pm »

About mino fighter with two "Honour Faces".
Sure, It'll be death mashine, but its possible to implement limitations on same relic things.
So, If you already have one, you will not be able to get another one - take from corpse, ground,
steal it, recieve by magical transfer etc. But we have not so many players here, so I do not see great
importance of it. I like Solace right like it is now, do not want it becomes a kindergarten.

As for limited things in inventory - it should depend on class. For example fighter specialized in daggers, whips and swords needs at least 6 weapons, two of each type. But mages may also need a couple of limited wands, staves - not sure about them, I rarely play mages. So maybe just increase the limited number?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 12:16:41 pm by Antarex » Logged
Matthew

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2006, 12:39:14 pm »

Or uh, make it too heavy to dual wield one. . . .

I don't want it back. You can never get rid of the smell, you know. Besides, that dagger was Flint's!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length