Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:27:00 pm
Check the old forum > Home Help Login Register
News: --------------------------------
Non official version
skal.ru 4000
--------------------------------
1.5 player is in MUD and chromatic is already stored (c)

--------------------------------
Registration is disabled due to numerous spam bots.

+  Solace MUD Official Forum
|-+  Solace Development
| |-+  Ideas
| | |-+  Attacking Teammates
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Attacking Teammates  (Read 5804 times)
Proph

« on: April 13, 2006, 05:18:38 pm »

I think from an RP/sensibility standpoint this should not be allowed in the game. The main reason of course being that people are CONSTANTLY mis-targeting in the game and attacking their traveling partner with no excuse except "Ooops, I missed my target". Seriously, would Tanis attack Caramon and say "Oh drat! I was trying to attack the Cave Monster, but your names both start with "Ca".... you understand" No way. Plus a lot of times people aren't so accepting of your apology and it creates frustration. If you want to attack someone in group (form of espionage etc) then you simply have to ungroup them. Anyone agree?

Nothing is too much to hope for.
Valeria
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 05:36:50 pm »

While I understand the sensibility in this, I think I would disagree.  I believe that having this makes people have to be a little more aware of what they are doing.

This is what I would see as "Friendly Fire".  And yes, I could see in the course of heated battle with an enemy, Tanis hitting Caramon by mistake.  He was a rather large target and in the midst of battle, how much room do 2 or 3 people really have to attack a single target anyway?

So I see this as 2 issues, one is allowing the strike to occur, and two is how the chars deal with it. 

I think the strike is allowable.  But how this mistake is roleplayed is a different issue.  And I think saying "Sorry, both your names start with CA..." is a poor version of roleplay.  I think there are better RP ways to deal with this mistake.
Sgt Pepper

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 05:49:36 pm »

I think the strike is allowable. But how this mistake is roleplayed is a different issue. And I think saying "Sorry, both your names start with CA..." is a poor version of roleplay. I think there are better RP ways to deal with this mistake.

"Sorry, I was dizzy and accidentelly kicked dirt in your eyes"  Tongue

I agree with ProphallictiC, I'm slow to tipe and ususally just type the first letters of the mob, I'ts a problem when I'm in dead forest grouped with someone whose name start with "tr".

Run my little chunks of xp, RUN!
Morcul

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 05:54:54 pm »

Disagree, mud becomes too babyish. No harming inners ideas, no harming groupmates, its too much

Proph

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 06:28:42 pm »

I think the strike is allowable.  But how this mistake is roleplayed is a different issue.  And I think saying "Sorry, both your names start with CA..." is a poor version of roleplay.  I think there are better RP ways to deal with this mistake.
*Arrrrrgh* Of course I won't say "Sorry your name starts with Gu, and I was trying to attack the Guard" in game. I always find a roleplay-ish phrase to communicate OOC things. The point is, it's allowing a huge mistake to happen in game for something completely unintended and OOC. What if two people are incredibly good friends in the realm and one of them accidentally PWKs or strangles the other--, how will he explain that? It doesn't make sense if you ask me. It's just frustrating and groupmates should not be allowed to attack groupmates imho. As for me I only do it on occasion, and often because of a missed keystroke (ie: hitting enter too fast).
No harming groupmates is too much for you Morcul? What the hell? Is it that hard to add "group %target" and then a seperator char before you sleep/ambush a teammie etc etc etc? Do you really attack your groupmates on purpose that often?

Nothing is too much to hope for.
Matthew

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 08:40:30 pm »

This is what I would see as "Friendly Fire".  And yes, I could see in the course of heated battle with an enemy, Tanis hitting Caramon by mistake.  He was a rather large target and in the midst of battle, how much room do 2 or 3 people really have to attack a single target anyway?

No way, friendly fire is bang ops sorry. In solace you continue attacking until you flee.

I don't want it back. You can never get rid of the smell, you know. Besides, that dagger was Flint's!
Nierth
Your bane, your curse
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2006, 09:33:11 pm »

Propha, relax, babe. And be more polite.  It is for the first.

If you try to look at your idea from another side, you will see a lot of bad points in it. It is for the second.

Do not forget that it is a game at least, yes, based on the story, but it is still text game, isnt it? Next time you will whine, "I messed up l (for look) and k (for kill), lets change something and I will never do such mistakes again". It is for the third.

And for last one, Solace is PK mud, not a mush, your wins depends on your speed, your *.cfg file, your knowledge of mud and your brains. Try to avoid your mistakes instead of searching for doubtful excuses.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 09:37:55 pm by Nierth » Logged
glorg

peaceful IRC marauder

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2006, 11:11:15 pm »

crappy idea
Morcul

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2006, 02:26:29 pm »

*Arrrrrgh* Of course I won't say "Sorry your name starts with Gu, and I was trying to attack the Guard" in game. I always find a roleplay-ish phrase to communicate OOC things. The point is, it's allowing a huge mistake to happen in game for something completely unintended and OOC. What if two people are incredibly good friends in the realm and one of them accidentally PWKs or strangles the other--, how will he explain that? It doesn't make sense if you ask me. It's just frustrating and groupmates should not be allowed to attack groupmates imho. As for me I only do it on occasion, and often because of a missed keystroke (ie: hitting enter too fast).
No harming groupmates is too much for you Morcul? What the hell? Is it that hard to add "group %target" and then a seperator char before you sleep/ambush a teammie etc etc etc? Do you really attack your groupmates on purpose that often?

Is it too hard to attack the right person? If you make a mistake then suffer for it. In real life, you make a mistake, you hurt someone with your car. The car doesn't freeze and a booming voice says "The Gods protect your groupmate from you".

shappa
Premium Member

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006, 11:24:25 am »

Rp isn't chatting at ms.
Rp is your actions!

When people want evil ones not to strike their groupmates/clanmates it clearly shows where are we going to  Cry
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length