Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:05:15 pm
Check the old forum > Home Help Login Register
News: --------------------------------
Non official version
skal.ru 4000
--------------------------------
1.5 player is in MUD and chromatic is already stored (c)

--------------------------------
Registration is disabled due to numerous spam bots.

+  Solace MUD Official Forum
|-+  General
| |-+  Newbies Section
| | |-+  Thief Newbie guide
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Thief Newbie guide  (Read 10408 times)
Kage

"He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy."

« on: January 16, 2008, 07:18:24 pm »

- Someone smart write one maybe and sticky it?

-The best part about this conversation... is we never have to have it again.                             - Archangel Gabriel
Matthew

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 12:26:04 am »

If you are a newbie don't play a thief.

I don't want it back. You can never get rid of the smell, you know. Besides, that dagger was Flint's!
Critic

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 09:09:53 am »

+1 to Matthew.

Vsem piz*i, a krilya mne!
dedraelos
Lifetime Member

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 09:25:24 am »

might want to add in, if you are a newbie, do not play solace.
unreal

Vicious IRC marauder

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 10:28:19 am »

disagree
I'd say: If you're whinner by born - do not play not only Solace but another games too.. - make the life of other people abit easier.

For the darkness! Angry
Kage

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 03:40:48 pm »

- Then there should especially be a guide for necromancers and thieves.  Why do we have guides for the easy classes and nothing for the advanced ones.  There is a guide for alteration and invokers, newbies shouldnt be them either.  Should just have a general guide for all classes.  Since we dont really have a newbie player base anyway.  The only way you learn a class is to play it,  might help at least to have some tips to get you started.  Its not like if someones a veteran and played fighter classes all the time all the sudden they are advanced enough to know what to do with a necro or something.  If someone wants to play a necro, magi or thief for rp reasons...let them get their butts kicked.  Doesnt mean we shouldnt give them a tip or too. People ask me and I have no idea.   I would but I suck at thieves and hate necros .

-The best part about this conversation... is we never have to have it again.                             - Archangel Gabriel
Quino

Vicious IRC marauder

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 07:00:53 pm »

Then there should especially be a guide for necromancers and thieves.

I have to disagree, newbies aren't supposed to play hard classes without proper knowledge which can be gained IC mostly.

p.s. Even very successive MUDs warn players when they're rolling char that some classes are much harder for newbie to try out and propose not to try them until they gain IC experience.

You have to get rid of the Russians. 90% of these maggots play this game just to cheat and piss off the others [...] who roleplay
Kage

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 07:06:15 pm »

- yeah..but who IC gives such knowledge..no one.  these guides should be called just guides not newbie..I learn stuff from classes I dont play, from them all the time.  playing a fighter doesnt teach you to be a thief.  Just seemed like it would be useful..didnt know it was a big secret how to unlock crimson scourge ..oohh ahhh.  I mean someone posted some invoker stuff before..and I think that class is tough for newbies too.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 07:09:02 pm by Kage » Logged

Quino

Vicious IRC marauder

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 07:10:30 pm »

I mean other knowledge Smiley
Like - whom to kill to make skeletons/zombies/mummies from, what preparations necro should use, tactics against classes...

It can either be learn from watching necros IC and asking them or slamming through forum logs.

You have to get rid of the Russians. 90% of these maggots play this game just to cheat and piss off the others [...] who roleplay
Kage

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 07:15:27 pm »

- I hear you..but the same could be said of any class...why post one and not another...the disclaimer is clearly known..dont make these your first character.  But some tips on fighting other classes could be posted and or tactics.  Of course this is probably why all thieves just jack, steal, pilfer, loot and flee...no guide  Grin Grin Grin
- course that is probably the preferred guide  Wink
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 07:18:07 pm by Kage » Logged

Nierth
Your bane, your curse
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 10:07:56 pm »

tips and tactic are not the advices for the newbies. If you need a tip - ask in common discussion.

We do not want newbies to play these hard classes, get dissapointed and leave.

When you play with other classes, you learn map, you learn where to rank, where to get clothes, how to run fast, how to survive, where to hide and where to gate, whom to believe and whom not. After this knowledge you may think to play a necro.

This is my opinion :-)
Quino

Vicious IRC marauder

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 10:19:13 pm »

- yeah..but who IC gives such knowledge..no one.

My chars keep newbie channel on to answer newbies Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 10:20:46 pm by Quino » Logged

Kage

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 10:30:46 pm »

tips and tactic are not the advices for the newbies. If you need a tip - ask in common discussion.

- Just being a pain but this is from assassin "newbie" guide
4) Tactics
First, remember you are not supposed to fight against multiple opponents. Kidnap is your main way to equalize odds. This does not mean you just can't fight against two or three, but it could be better to avoid.
Strangle (if victim is mounted, get him off the mount or mount yourself), put nerve, throw blindness and poison dust if possible (but do not waste too much time for it). If you did not kidnap him before, think about it now. Finally, try to perform a sting of manticore. Successful? 1-0. Well, in most cases at least. No luck? Anyway you are close to victory, and your opponent knows that as well, so be ready to continue the hunt in the city after he recalls.
With decent preparations (good potions, orbs) you can fight without kidnap and with failed strangle (or with any of the further important skills except nerve). Without them you probably should not.
Use stalk in all possible situations
Victim is a thief
Try to strangle him before he blackjacks you. If you are successful, you have good chance to kill him. If he's successful, he has good chance to clean your pockets and disappear in hazy distance. Your death is not probable at all (but possible. If you choose to fight to death or run too slow, thief can kill you after blackjack-backstab.) If thief is well prepared (spellbook, potions etc.), flee and wait. He can't keep himself prepared constantly.
Victim is a fighter
A skilled fighter is a great enemy. on and on .......

- Sounds like serious tactics to me , same for knights guide which you are attached to heh and others...lines and lines of tactics .  seems some opinions are not shared.  This is not in common discussions.  just seems odd to not even have a starter guide for necros or thieves..not even extensive like the ones we have which tell all ..This is my opinion :-)

Nierth
Your bane, your curse
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2008, 11:50:18 pm »

seems you did not read the second part of my comment at all.
glorg

peaceful IRC marauder

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2008, 09:55:12 am »

There is a guide for alteration and invokers, newbies shouldnt be them either.

why? alters are very easy to play
Hiddukel
Immortal

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2008, 11:20:02 am »

i'll write guide

p.s. happy birthday to me...... Sad
Kage

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2008, 03:06:48 pm »

- Thanks ...Happy birthday!! ...does the prince of lies get two wishes?

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length