Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:02:12 pm
Check the old forum > Home Help Login Register
News: --------------------------------
Non official version
skal.ru 4000
--------------------------------
1.5 player is in MUD and chromatic is already stored (c)

--------------------------------
Registration is disabled due to numerous spam bots.

+  Solace MUD Official Forum
|-+  Solace Development
| |-+  Ideas
| | |-+  Skills vs spells
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Skills vs spells  (Read 16520 times)
deda

Obnoxious IRC whining alien dog

« on: April 08, 2008, 02:47:32 am »

I've noticed that many skills fail even when mastered. Shouldn't it be so with mastered spells? If I can fail to eyejab someone, why shouldn't an invoker have a chance to miscast sheet lightning?

Make yourself all honey
...and the flies shall devour you

... Keep on rotting in the free world!...
Triumph

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 03:13:16 am »

Maladiction spells fail all the time. Plague, paralysis, dispel magic... hmmm even... blindness! (when mastered, player won't lose concentration, it will simply be unsuccessful).

For damage spells like sheet lightning... i'm pretty sure that damaging skills also will never fail. For example, knifing, lunge.

I think It's not a matter of skill vs. spell; it's maladiction vs. damage.

PS. Please don't change anything!!!
deda

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 04:44:45 am »

<x>NESW x ber
Your pulse speeds up, but nothing happens.

<x>NESW x ber

<x>NESW x ber

well, how do you call this with skill at 100%? malediction? damage?

btw, you are mixing apples and oranges... I am talking about skills failing by default not when using them against someone, and not a single offensive spell is failed in casting if the spell is mastered... It can be resisted, reflected, or whatever, but the caster doesn't not fail! On the other hand, every single skill can fail...
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 05:57:15 am by deda » Logged

Make yourself all honey

omledufromage

See you space cowboy...

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 05:49:50 am »

Drumming maces 100% for me for example... damaging skill, and it fails lots (and I mean lots) of times. Enough to make a very big difference in PK.

c'mon, just relax and try to imagine that you're just a letters on the screens of other people Grin
oD1n
High Member

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 05:56:49 am »

just add a slight chance to all spells to fail like skill even mastered and it's be equal

So i've heard the warning, curse my name...no regret.
deda

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 05:57:47 am »

just add a slight chance to all spells to fail like skill even mastered and it's be equal

that's what I am talking about...

Make yourself all honey

Triumph

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 06:30:35 am »

<x>NESW x ber

<x>NESW x ber

<x>NESW x ber

well, how do you call this with skill at 100%? malediction? damage?

Well, you're right on this one. Enhancement skills seem to fail a lot, those should be changed. If berserk is at 100%, it should be successful always.

btw, you are mixing apples and oranges... I am talking about skills failing by default not when using them against someone, and not a single offensive spell is failed in casting if the spell is mastered... It can be resisted, reflected, or whatever, but the caster doesn't not fail! On the other hand, every single skill can fail...

Man, what do you think happened when eyejab missed at 100%? It failed/resisted/deflected/or whatever.
Now go cast blindness at somebody, if you're not lucky, you'll see this script: "You failed."

Drumming maces 100% for me for example... damaging skill, and it fails lots (and I mean lots) of times. Enough to make a very big difference in PK.
Hmm, well I always thought this is for stunning, not for damage... but whatever.

Also, everytime drumming maces is success, there is a stun.
100% fork lightning, player doesnt even get shocked 15% of the time.

omledufromage

See you space cowboy...

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 07:12:29 am »

Hmm, well I always thought this is for stunning, not for damage... but whatever.

Drumming maces can work as a nice damager, and if you count that by stunning your oponent you are still doing more damage then he does at you by avoiding his uses of skills/spells, then it still classifies I think as a damager.
And another comment... there isn't always a stun when you hit drumming maces.
I don't know the percentage... I think it is high, but it is not 100%.
And about spells stunning... I think they are related to saves. I know that 'metor swarm' or something like that used to stun my poor-saved chars every time.

c'mon, just relax and try to imagine that you're just a letters on the screens of other people Grin
Genocide
Lifetime Member

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 07:23:04 am »

You are crazy. Fighters have their skills just like an addition to their main skill - buch of attacks from their hands. And invoker has only one way to do damage - casting a spell. And you wish them to fail Huh A lot of reflex saves in the world, sanctuary and so on spells and you offer to implement spellcasting failing.
Crazy idea, it will kill invoker class. Becouse even 10% chance to fail will fail caster in time of greate need. I am talking about invokers becouse i like them  Roll Eyes But i am sure that my second favorit class - mino druid would not like this idea as well.
omledufromage

See you space cowboy...

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 07:31:21 am »

Yeah... you make a damn good point.  Grin
I had forgotten about that little detail. It just pisses me off to type drum and see nothing red on the screen.

Kage

"He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy."

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 06:34:03 pm »

- there was a similiar topic I think I made about this sorta thing.  Since the help file eludes to the fact that reflexes will avoid a spell but you dont...and you instead take reduced damage.  Just make skills the same...if their saves are high enough they take reduced damage.  Since high reflexes has never saved my characters from a vapour chain.  Maybe I got eradicated instead of unspeakable...not quite the same as a total miss from a skill.

-The best part about this conversation... is we never have to have it again.                             - Archangel Gabriel
Rialon

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 07:03:11 pm »

Eh, where did you see eradicate from vapour chain? Maybe if you stack four demolishes (four is rather seldom) on an unprotected char. And you get two round lag
Kage

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2008, 07:42:17 pm »

- it can happen

-The best part about this conversation... is we never have to have it again.                             - Archangel Gabriel
deda

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2008, 05:57:40 pm »

yes, you don't get shocked but you get ripped apart by the spell... while drumming has 50% chance to fail even when mastered and no damage at all... And it lags the user more than it's victim...

Make yourself all honey

Hiddukel
Immortal

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2008, 10:58:00 pm »

Nothing wrong as I can see, failed drum is balanced by 5-8 hits from that round with typing nothing already Smiley
Kage

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2008, 11:47:58 pm »

- well if a mage can parry like a fighter for some reason...then their damaging spells could have some fallability,like a fighter, to some degree I think too.

deda

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2008, 12:40:32 am »

Nothing wrong as I can see, failed drum is balanced by 5-8 hits from that round with typing nothing already Smiley

did you try to hit someone with all buffs on or...? You can't hit anyone with 5-8 attacks unless he is down and without any protections...

Make yourself all honey

omledufromage

See you space cowboy...

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2008, 12:57:58 am »

I gotta agree with deda on this one... Thorak on full offensive and with bloodthirst has over 100 hitroll, and I hit zero attacks against Lirion, for example (season assassins, half-elf). Of course... he may have Uncanny Dodge (or Blinding Speed, that also helps), season assassin has good defense skills... but zero attacks? Fight against him is fully dependent on drumming maces+outrage... and I miss a great deal of drumming maces... while that he's kicking me or throwing me... skills that seem to fail rarely(or never) once mastered.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 01:01:42 am by Argonar » Logged

deda

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2008, 01:32:58 am »

kick can fail, not by missing, but by making an ordinary amount of damage (decimates instead of ***damage***)

Make yourself all honey

omledufromage

See you space cowboy...

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2008, 03:20:26 am »

That wouldn't be kick missing, that would by style failing to be performed correctly... at least that's how I would interpret.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length