Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:05:18 pm
Check the old forum > Home Help Login Register
News: --------------------------------
Non official version
skal.ru 4000
--------------------------------
1.5 player is in MUD and chromatic is already stored (c)

--------------------------------
Registration is disabled due to numerous spam bots.

+  Solace MUD Official Forum
|-+  Solace Development
| |-+  Ideas
| | |-+  Would you be so kind to...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Would you be so kind to...  (Read 12813 times)
deda

Obnoxious IRC whining alien dog

« on: May 10, 2006, 03:52:11 pm »

make outcasts more powerful?

Make yourself all honey
...and the flies shall devour you

... Keep on rotting in the free world!...
quad

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 03:54:52 pm »

they are strong enough Smiley
I can say same: give flourintine to knight! and mounted crosslice!
Matthew

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 05:28:32 pm »

Knights need, wielding spear/shield at same time. So they can be like, real knights!

I don't want it back. You can never get rid of the smell, you know. Besides, that dagger was Flint's!
MacFie
High Member

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 06:11:19 pm »

Or just dodge.  You think that moving out of the way of a weapon would come natural to any fighter class.

O Ghaidheil, o caite 'n deach t' uaill 'Nad fhine 's 'nad chanan 's do thir?
Quino

Vicious IRC marauder

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 06:14:48 pm »

Hmm I think it's not *knightish* - to dodge an attack (kinda of thievery act) , they face with opponent and parry him.
Remember when draconians ran into Inn of Last Home and Sturm even did not want to flee - so that knights do, they don't dodge, they parry.

Regardless spear+shield - yes, sounds logical if weapon is not heavy, but! stand off+shield block can easily make overpowered combo.

You have to get rid of the Russians. 90% of these maggots play this game just to cheat and piss off the others [...] who roleplay
MacFie
High Member

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 06:40:47 pm »

I think you are mistaking what to dodge is.  That is just simple combat.  If you are boxing, do you just try to block it with your arm, or do you duck out of the way, or step side it?  The last two are examples of a 'dodge'.  Parrying is really just a last resort, because just because you put your sword in the way and try to deflect, doesn't mean it's gonna happen.

O Ghaidheil, o caite 'n deach t' uaill 'Nad fhine 's 'nad chanan 's do thir?
Lurker

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 11:26:25 pm »

From a point of reality, knights and other swordsmen would very rarely parry. Two strokes was deemed more than enough to kill an opponent with, including a blocking manoeuvre - when on a battlefield facing hundreds of enemies wearing heavy armour, you don't want to be flailing a sword around a la First Knight or similar.

So, dodge would be more appropriate than parry, but really there should be neither - just a form of initiative where knights kill quickly before they can be attacked. But that's not how Solace works, is it? Wink So keep parry for now.
Matthew

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 02:14:24 am »

If you think stand off+shield block is over powered, as it could very well be, especially mounted, there are other ways to rebalance. For instance, remove offensive prayers and cure crit, remove the silly dual wielding skills that limit a knight to wielding swords and, oh yeah thats it, swords. Cross slice, righteous warfare and cross block. If your a knight and your not mounted this is all you use, If your a knight and your mounted you use a staff, what kind of knight wields a staff? They need a lance/shield deal, they're suppose to be masters of honourable weaponry(no whips or flails), and especially if in solamnia should be nearly impossible to unmount. I saw Grimm, a decently clothed knight under sanctuary duel a naked transmuter with manticore, he use his staff mounted, and wrath and it was a close fight. Im sorry but hiding behind mount/stand off and attacking with a prayer does not seem very knightly, it should go 'impale, pull out your sword, smash them with your shield, kick them away, swing sword' etc. Mounted combat is kind of a joke, there is really only one way to do it, pugil. Ok they have other skills to use with polearms and spears, charge set. Charge set consists of awaiting enemy attack, there goes impailing, which is also governed by what comes next, so you charge set, enemy attacks and then what? You lunge? Hell no that crap could get you killed, 2 round lag for half pugil damage? What is a knight suppose to do, flee and charge set again? Or flee and try to impale again? Those options don't sound very knightly either. A mounted knight SHOULD be feared by all, and an unmounted knight should be a formidible foe. In dl books no mere warriors are a match for a trained knight, warriors benifit from other things, like fighting dirty -kicking dirt in your eyes etc, knights should have no way to blind and opponent, including wrath. Its dishonourable to attack a blind opponent, if a knight blinded an opponent in some way he would have to stop fighting until the opponent could see again or in the case in which blindness is permenent he would ask him to yield or offer mercy(a quick death) cause theres no way anyone blind would last 5 seconds against him.

I don't want it back. You can never get rid of the smell, you know. Besides, that dagger was Flint's!
deda

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2006, 04:28:51 am »

Umm, guys, the name of the topic is not "Make knights more powerful...". Make and outcast and see how many skills/spells he has, and then compare it with a number of skills/spells a knight has... See my point?

Make yourself all honey

Proph

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2006, 07:43:29 am »

Knights are definitely more powerful than outcast knights imho (on the average). This is mainly because at higher ranks they get superb protective spells while outcast has basically nothing, and his maledictions become nearly useless (even he gets lucky enough to land one the knight can easily cure it). Deathknights on the other hand.... Cheesy

As far as using pike/spear + shield, I think it's a good idea to implement it, as knights commonly fought this way in the middle/really early ages. Maybe just not allow them to use standoff while using a shield, as they already have mounted fighting bonus etc, and they will simply strike with it as they would a sword.

Nothing is too much to hope for.
unreal
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2006, 08:17:26 am »

yea! Make outcasts more powerfull!!! Muahahaha!  Grin
*winks to Immortal team*
deda

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2006, 01:39:56 pm »

Hey, Prop, have you ever, EVER seen a deathknight so far you've been playing Solace?

Make yourself all honey

Proph

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2006, 10:11:04 pm »

Yeah, years ago I saw Adramaelek and I think one other. Lately??? NO.

quad

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2006, 10:44:42 pm »

First Slomster, second Horvaraz = Bajoi
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 12:48:05 am by quad » Logged
Proph

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2006, 11:38:26 pm »

Oh yeah, Horvaraz... possibly the best dragonlord ever Smiley

deda

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2006, 11:49:27 pm »

As much as I know, in order to become a deathknight you must find some manual first, read it, acquire Chemosh's attention, and pass his test(s)... All this on your own... Does this sound feasable to you? Becoming a lich is much easier,  at least you have mummes...

Anyhow, you turn into a deathknight, that is you become undead , and vulnerable to anyone that has turn undead or banishment spell... Where is  fun in that?

Since 1999, when I started playing Solace, outcasts got only brutal block and hellball, + energy drain was modified and made non-stackable when once affected the victim... And knights got many new empowers/skills...

Make yourself all honey

Dervish
Premium Member

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2006, 12:55:20 am »

Oh yeah, Horvaraz... possibly the best dragonlord ever Smiley
Is it possible to read his logs?
And no, AFAIK knights did not fight with lance+shield (I mean when they fought alone or in a small group)

Its easy to check: just take a spear and shield and try to fight a swordsman or axeman. I did. After this you wont tell how knights fought Smiley

Lance+shield is good in a band of such knights, when mounted etc. And mostly in first charge, after charge, in battle its better to use more shorthanded weapon like axes etc.
Matthew

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2006, 10:11:35 am »

Were not talking about a jousting lance here, much smaller and lighter.

Proph

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2006, 11:28:55 am »

people don't stand off with jousting lances anyway Grin

deda

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2006, 12:42:25 am »

Some ideas:

A manual spell, similar to blessed weapon, but has neg damtype... let's call it "soul steal" or whatever;

instead hail of stones, which has earth damtype (correct me if i'm mistaken), give them area spell that also has neg damtype...

completely remove shove, cause it's useless...

brutal block should be performable with flails, not whips...

crucify should give some ac and saves bonuses, not just like 50 health or 35+20...

Make yourself all honey

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length