Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:09:19 pm
Check the old forum > Home Help Login Register
News: --------------------------------
Non official version
skal.ru 4000
--------------------------------
1.5 player is in MUD and chromatic is already stored (c)

--------------------------------
Registration is disabled due to numerous spam bots.

+  Solace MUD Official Forum
|-+  Solace Development
| |-+  Ideas
| | |-+  Kidnapping and such
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Kidnapping and such  (Read 16362 times)
Proph

« on: January 15, 2006, 02:42:30 am »

In the interest of roleplay I think the kidnap skill for assassins should be altered a bit. For instance, today I kidnapped and slew someone, but the area I was in was cursed and full of agressive mobs. I didn't really mind dying, so much as the fact that the kidnap skill works almost exactly like the teleport spell.

So what's the problem? Think of a real assassin. If he were to kidnap a sleeping victim to slay him in privacy, would he go to an area he himself could not return from? Furthermore, how could I end up in "A Crypt" when its full of monsters that can (and will) kill me in 3 seconds (ie I couldn't possibly get in in the first place)? Obviously some changes are needed.

My suggestion is to make it impossible to kidnap to cursed areas, as those are mainly the ones with agressive mobs for higher ranking players to fight. I'm not sure of the actual capability of the MUD code to do other ideas I am thinking of, but I do want to hear other opinions.

If there is some reason why this a bad idea please let me know.

Nothing is too much to hope for.
Nuitari
Immortal

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 04:11:41 am »

It is never bad to give your ideas  Smiley
Quino

Vicious IRC marauder

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2006, 12:19:38 pm »

I disagree as kidnapping to cursed, harsh areas is often the only way to kill your foe...

If you trapped to the Edges.... just pray for the gemstone Wink

You have to get rid of the Russians. 90% of these maggots play this game just to cheat and piss off the others [...] who roleplay
Proph

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2006, 06:08:13 pm »

I'm not arguing that it's not effective to kidnap to cursed area, but it's just not within lines of roleplay (did you even read my entire post?).

Sevrin

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2006, 09:52:34 pm »

It seems to me that still kidnapping to the noncursed area is not within the same lines of roleplay. If we are trying to invent something verisimilar, then probably kidnapping also should be prepared, and for a very long time. So that assassin should know, where to he is transferring his victim.
Proph

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2006, 10:14:41 pm »

Make it prepared just like assassinate, that no one will use because you have to wait 4 ticks completely exposed and even AFTER that, there is a chance of failure (ie: you don't even get a chance to assassinate)?

Why don't we just reduce the damage assassins do by half and start them out with -30% saves to everything?

Sorry, I'm bitter.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 10:19:23 pm by ProphallictiC » Logged

Kolin
Premium Member

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2006, 10:24:26 pm »

Best way for kidnap to work in terms of making sense is a super effective drag type without lag.

Kidna 1. east

You grab hold of Enno's legs and drag him East.

Repeat to desired area/noexit room.

Of course this would make kidnap useless victim was strangled, or as a way to kidnap out of city . . . I think i agree that kidnap should not take victim to cursed area. Maybe only nieghboring areas? Or just same area teleport?
Habbakuk
The Skylord
Immortal

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2006, 10:28:18 pm »

How about this.. you can drag victim in desired direction (kidnap <victim> <direction>), it will consume movement points greatly, can only work if victim is sleeping or can't see you, has small chance of waking the victim if it's strangled.
Kolin
Premium Member

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2006, 10:37:59 pm »

Now, i like this type of kidnap but for one thing. You cannot kidnap an awake victim now . . .

Or, solution, when kidnap is used without direction it is a random teleport inside area?
Sevrin

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2006, 11:26:21 am »

Well, I believe that Lord Habbakuk's idea will make kidnapping more real, but useless in many situations. For example, when attacking groups of players. And reducing moves will not let me take the victim far enough, just to surprize it. May be we should just agree that our kidnap is not kidnap at all, and rename it, leaving this skill unchanged? Or just add Habbakuk's idea to make kidnap more custom. I mean that kidnap someone without direction will work as it works now, and kidnap with direction will work in the way you described. That'll be interesting, I suppose.
Sevrin

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2006, 11:29:53 am »

Make it prepared just like assassinate, that no one will use because you have to wait 4 ticks completely exposed and even AFTER that, there is a chance of failure (ie: you don't even get a chance to assassinate)?

Why don't we just reduce the damage assassins do by half and start them out with -30% saves to everything?

Sorry, I'm bitter.

My idea was that your change doesnot change situation from the point of roleplay, that's all. I haven't said anything about exact realization of 'kidnap prepare', just supposed that in real life Smiley kidnappers mostly prepare their crime pretty well. Doesn't it makes this skill more interesting from roleplay view?
dehucka
Lifetime Member

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2006, 12:24:58 pm »

my 5 cents:

it can be logical to make kidnap prepared with following adds:

you need 1-2 hours to prepare kidnap in area you want to drag person.

when you kidnap person there are small chance that you kidnap him not exactly to room you choosed but near - in area.

and there are small chance that you will kidnap person not in area you v choosed but in areas around target area.

so it will make kidnap usable... and strategical weapon.

and there will be still chance to break so well planned kidnaping - those small chances...

but need to change saves dependance - now good savesed person immune to kidnap/sting... so dont need to discuse skill when all experience players are immune to it.

i think version of kidnap direction - it s push in other worlds. nice thing... it may be manual of pushing, and kidnap for free, or manual of kidnaping and push for free. push should nt wake person but have balanced lag to not roll victim all over the krynn.
novann
Premium Member

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2006, 03:40:13 pm »

My idea is: if person have much saves, he is kidnapped in the same area or to the same area. So if it has little saves - to the far located area. And assassin can choose - kidnap this person, or kill right where he strangled it.

The explanation of this will be: if victim have nice saves, he is kinda wake some while was pulled and fall down at nearest area.

novann
Premium Member

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2006, 03:42:57 pm »

I meant if much saves - kidnapped to the same or nearest area....
Illiet

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2006, 03:52:56 pm »

I think Kidnapping and Teleport should be changed in more useable way like..
1. You can teleport/kidnap only in nearest areas.
2. You can not teleport/kidnap into *explore area* (edge, nether world and so on.. it always was more easy way to get somewhere to explore by teleporting but not the solving quest for entrance that is not good for me)
3. You can teleport/kidnap into cursed areas which is not *explore*.

Otherwise it is too dangerous to use teleport now a days.
Crusader
Lifetime Member

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2006, 11:35:12 pm »

I suggest just to make kidnap spell not skill. Then it will have sense.
Matthew

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2006, 03:26:35 am »

Why not just turn the victim into an item in your inventory.

kidnap thulga

You strangle Thulga, bind him and throw him over your shoulder.

You are carrying:
Thulga the male dwarf
A weathered ranger's sack

1 hour to move victim to prefered location.

I don't want it back. You can never get rid of the smell, you know. Besides, that dagger was Flint's!
omledufromage

See you space cowboy...

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2006, 03:47:50 am »

actually, I like this idea...
but I think it would have to be more then one hour... and it would only work if victim were strangled... makes much more realistic

c'mon, just relax and try to imagine that you're just a letters on the screens of other people Grin
Proph

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2006, 06:12:36 am »

Now that is one hell of a good idea.  Things like that will make the realm seem just that much more real!

I agree that it should be more than an hour, as the next tick could be 2 seconds away. Maybe 2 ticks (or the duration of the strangle)?

Kolin
Premium Member

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2006, 06:59:23 am »

I vote for drag type still with small chance of waking victic and small move reduction.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length