Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:40:07 am
Check the old forum > Home Help Login Register
News: --------------------------------
Non official version
skal.ru 4000
--------------------------------
1.5 player is in MUD and chromatic is already stored (c)

--------------------------------
Registration is disabled due to numerous spam bots.

+  Solace MUD Official Forum
|-+  Solace Development
| |-+  Ideas
| | |-+  Books
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Books  (Read 16451 times)
dedraelos
Lifetime Member

« on: November 24, 2007, 07:33:18 pm »

Imms, please please please look at adjusting the book system of Solace. If you play a type of character that truly needs books to come into your true power, then your just screwed unless you use OOC ways to get them, and I'm not quite to that point yet.

Books are just way too hard to get, you can pop books for 10 hours straight and not see one book for your class. Does that not seem abit excessive?
Lady Lunitari
Immortal

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 08:01:21 pm »

I have only one way to help, my own Smiley I can log into the mud every day and repop it. But sometimes I can forget to do it, have a lot of work these days, and will have Sad
Will it help somehow?
deda

Obnoxious IRC whining alien dog

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 08:20:01 pm »

Actually, I would like a messenger to bring me certain manuals for assassins... Nothing more... Roll Eyes Or make it balanced so  that manuals last as long as spellbooks and appear as often as spellbooks? After last crash I've found like 20 spellbooks and only 3 manuals: two of them being the same :unholy armor... *glare* Wink

Make yourself all honey
...and the flies shall devour you

... Keep on rotting in the free world!...
dedraelos
Lifetime Member

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 08:45:00 pm »

Luni, that would help the current situation I'm having and dear gods (only alittle of this pun intended) I thank you.

But, I do think that the underlying system of manuals and spell books could use some attention. I don't have all the answers, and maybe the other players can chime in here and offer advice on a system change that could be fair, but still allow this crucial part of the game to be achievable.
Kage

"He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy."

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 09:36:25 pm »

- maybe instead of books just being on mobs in their inventory.  They appear like items on death of mob.  And for your class..after you kill their is a slight higher percentage for a book or manual you can use then a random one.

-The best part about this conversation... is we never have to have it again.                             - Archangel Gabriel
Caleb
Premium Member

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 11:37:06 pm »

GIVE ME MY UNHOLY ARMOR *GLARE*

The whole set up for manuals. WAS GREAT a few years back, i remember
being borric in Guardians, and four of our knights had blessed weapon etc.

The current setup, is that there was a large player base, forced to rank all over
the place to get the best ranking. allowing for the discovery/oocing to have it find
those it needed.

Reality is we dont have that playerbase, we dont have as many veterens getting
together and looking all over the fricking land for these books. So for example
this isnt accurate but.
20 spots for spellbooks and manuals to spawn. 18 of them lie dormant in far
off place never to be found. gives room for 2 to spawn if found.

Dont increase the amount of spots, that would be even worse, but... i dont even
know...

Im not saying just make it so everyone can get the books they want by rank 20.
But i think a little change is in order.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 11:45:30 pm by Caleb » Logged
Matthew

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 01:39:41 am »

I agree, since the last reboot Kungra has seen over 20 spellbooks 2 manuals of stamina, 3 books for outcasts, a manual of burning skin and a manual of life. But i have always found many more books for mages and outcasts than others.

PS. I have seen wyvern watch load a few times, and guardian angel once. But i have never seen the other manuals for clerics load ever in the whole time i have played solace. Also i have never seen Blessed weapon or any other knight manuals or any druid manuals. Its insane, might as well remove them from the game...
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 01:43:07 am by Matthew » Logged

I don't want it back. You can never get rid of the smell, you know. Besides, that dagger was Flint's!
Rialon

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2007, 03:21:43 pm »

Saw blessed weapon in maus. And another book for knights also. The only other manual for priests is town portal and it loads also, i had it with two of my clerics. For me personally, raistlin's spell enhancer is the one book i have never seen.
Matthew

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2007, 03:38:23 pm »

I had made it my life quest to rank a knight and obtain all manuals. Who is placing bets on success/failure?

I don't want it back. You can never get rid of the smell, you know. Besides, that dagger was Flint's!
Rionne
Premium Member

*glare!*

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2007, 03:53:04 pm »

Depends on rules. Are you allowed to look for books with abjurer? Will your knight buy books from Shatienn? Grin And what currency do you want bets in!
blah
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2007, 04:35:37 pm »

in all my life of playing solace i never saw blessed weapon. Found enhanced wrath and divine intervention. In pbt regularly finding books for necromancers and outcasts. In mausoleum found 2 hold person, 2 manticore, 2 stag, 2 unicorn, 2 irongrips for example. efb in nightfall
Caleb
Premium Member

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2007, 10:37:08 pm »

i found raistlens on mermaids.

But i have to admit, i havent seen a knight manual in ages
deda

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2007, 11:38:59 pm »

I'll just say that I have never seen the mocking bird manual in all these years playing solace...

Make yourself all honey

Matthew

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2007, 12:19:10 am »

Har har hah! My lowbie assassin has mockingbird! Mermaids. I have a warrior who has all but fury stance, but ive kind of retired him. Fury is a book i have also never seen in my life playing solace.

deda

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2007, 02:56:47 am »

Har har har! I have found manual of fury a year and a half ago!  Wink

Make yourself all honey

Geryon
Lifetime Member

Vicious IRC marauder

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2007, 03:26:33 am »

Rodgar has fury... but nothing else.

P.S. He was earning all his hero pluses in Maus... But fury manual wasn't there, it was granted to him by some friendly fighter.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 10:06:22 am by Geryon » Logged
dedraelos
Lifetime Member

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2007, 05:55:09 am »

I think this pretty much proves my point. We have here story after story of players revealing how they've had huge problems with the book system. Not just for a short time, or for one character, but for years or the entire time they've played Solace. If that kind of evidence doesn't point to a need to revisit the book system, I don't know what can.
Kage

"He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy."

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2007, 06:52:46 am »

- kazo has wyvern watch, locate relics   no portals or guardian angel after 65 years               

also kazo has found 4 spellbooks, unholy armor, deception, burning hands, health manual and the one that makes you crazy.  I wrote it down awhile back since someone asked something similiar.  Maybe could use a look at, though I dont think about it since most classes I play manuals arent so exciting. 

p.s. offtopic - maybe clerics need another manual?     
something that allows combat casting maybe? not sanctuary tho maybe overpower..turn undead etc. maybe?
    Or each cleric ethos gets their own specialized new one (I believe some magic classes have ethos specific manuals, manticore etc.)

-The best part about this conversation... is we never have to have it again.                             - Archangel Gabriel
Kolin
Premium Member

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2007, 07:09:55 am »

After batch after batch of mermaids with nothing in a matter of two hours I managed to get a library of 3 spellbooks, 1 man of wild and 1 man of learning.

I'm not trying to say look at all the manuals out there. I am pointing out they all came within 2 hours. Pretty much, it seems if you hit gold ... keep digging.
deda

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2007, 07:27:40 am »

Meh and kungra did 10-15 rounds in a row and ...nothing. Not a single book! So the book system operates fully random except for the fact that they incorporated Murphy's laws into it so that you never get the books you need... Snork found nearly all books for the necros and many invoker books but still is missing 2 books...

Make yourself all honey

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length