Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:24:15 am
Check the old forum > Home Help Login Register
News: --------------------------------
Non official version
skal.ru 4000
--------------------------------
1.5 player is in MUD and chromatic is already stored (c)

--------------------------------
Registration is disabled due to numerous spam bots.

+  Solace MUD Official Forum
|-+  Solace Development
| |-+  Ideas
| | |-+  Official Poll: Solace Area Rearrange
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Official Poll: Solace Area Rearrange  (Read 34587 times)
Tanis Half-Elven
Immortal

« on: January 13, 2008, 01:57:23 am »

Proposed Map for Solace Area Rearrange:
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj286/Tanis_HE/map_players.jpg

The goal of this rearrange is to have the solace world be similar to the Dragonlance world. The above map has all dragonlance locations properly placed, as would be shown in books.

The rearrange will not occur all at once. I it will happen in a number of small batches.

NOTE: Any area that does not appear on the map will have the EXACT same link to the world as it did before the rearrange.
For Example: Naiadia is not on the map; however, Naiadian Sea is on the map. Naiadia will connect to Naiadian sea as usual.
Another Example: Snowy Mountains is not on the map; however, eastern road is on the map. Snowy mountains will connect to the eastern road as usual.

NOTE: Some areas are moving, but will remain in Solace as "hidden areas". Although these areas are moving, they have not been shown on the area rearrange map. These areas include: Thorbardin, Isle of the Dead, Xak Tsaroth

----------------
Some Other Details about the rearrange:

* Darken Woods is moving, but it was accidently not shown on the map. Darken Woods will be connecting to the Wailing Fens.

* The new road connecting to Vingaard mountains will connect at the spot where Sla-mori currently connects.

* There will still be boats from Palanthas to Naiadia.

* Note that Dragonarmy camp stays in it's exact same place. (The reason that Vingaard is shown south of HCT is because currently in the game there is a small space [one room] of vingaard mountain area between HCT and dragonarmy camp).

« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 02:09:42 am by Tanis Half-Elven » Logged
unreal

Vicious IRC marauder

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 02:05:23 am »

Not sure if there is any sense of it...
Where is an option "abstain"?  Wink

P.S.: Notice that if rearrange will happen - you should immediate rebuild fly_area.. Notice also that we're waiting for fly_area ghm.. abit too long.. and promise that it would be fast enough  Wink
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 02:08:25 am by unreal » Logged

For the darkness! Angry
omledufromage

See you space cowboy...

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 02:14:48 am »

I like it.  Wink

c'mon, just relax and try to imagine that you're just a letters on the screens of other people Grin
Tanis Half-Elven
Immortal

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 02:17:29 am »

Not sure if there is any sense of it...
Where is an option "abstain"?  Wink

If you dont want to vote, simply don't vote. If you don't see any use of it, you may decide to click 'No' option.

But, here is some sense of it (as taken from immortal board):

Advantages:
- Our world will closely match the dragonlance world.
- Palanthas would become more central (rather than the current situation, in which everything spreads off east and south of palanthas, there will now be long stretch from Caergoth to Qualinost, with Palanthas in the middle).
- Qualinost will become a much busier city.
- Caergoth will become slightly more important than it is right now.
- Cobar corral would become slightly easier to access.
- All hometowns would be easier to access.

Disadvantages:
- The surroundings of Palanthas would become less dense (currently there are tons of areas jammed right around palanthas; in the new world, a few of these areas would be moved away).
- Nethosak would become more isolated because it would only be accessable by boat. Nobody can walk there.
- The players will need to adjust to the new world, and although they once voted to rearrange areas (on homepage), they might not like it after it is finally rearranged.

Please take something into consideration: Players adjusting to the new world might be a good thing! Many times hero players log in, with nothing to do. Now these players will have a few new areas to explore (we are building many new areas for this), and they will need to spend time finding a few areas that have moved.

P.S.: Notice that if rearrange will happen - you should immediate rebuild fly_area.. Notice also that we're waiting for fly_area ghm.. abit too long.. and promise that it would be fast enough  Wink

Fly area is set up differently than before. It is quite easy to edit now. Fly area will not close at all if rearrange occurs.
Kage

"He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy."

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 02:23:00 am »

Please take something into consideration: Players adjusting to the new world might be a good thing! Many times hero players log in, with nothing to do. Now these players will have a few new areas to explore (we are building many new areas for this), and they will need to spend time finding a few areas that have moved.
- Great idea.  No matter how much people complain this will stimulate all to check it out, even old crabby ones cant resist.  All change is inevitable ask entropy  Tongue 

-The best part about this conversation... is we never have to have it again.                             - Archangel Gabriel
Rialon

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 02:57:14 am »

Sure, as long as none of the areas will be lost and a basic map will be available.
Matthew

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 03:18:55 am »

Can i make a suggestion, add a road around each city so as to avoid entering one at all if you don't want to..

I don't want it back. You can never get rid of the smell, you know. Besides, that dagger was Flint's!
Kage

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 03:27:06 am »

- I dont like that. In my opinion makes it too easy to avoid hardships of criminal life and pk dodging.

-The best part about this conversation... is we never have to have it again.                             - Archangel Gabriel
Rialon

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 03:36:58 am »

More sense for warder or cobar rp imho.
omledufromage

See you space cowboy...

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 03:37:24 am »

I must agree with Kage... one of the reasons because I think it makes no sense. Others Kage already mentioned.
Look at it this way, the guys who build the city won't be incentivated to build a road around it for the Warders or Cobar, they would mostly think "f*ck the Warders, f*ck the Cobar. If they don't want to enter the city, they find themselves a way around it. "
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 03:39:32 am by Argonar » Logged

c'mon, just relax and try to imagine that you're just a letters on the screens of other people Grin
Kage

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2008, 03:38:34 am »

- hard enough to set traps and hunt runners without a backdoor too

omledufromage

See you space cowboy...

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2008, 03:56:51 am »

"all roads lead to Rome"... none lead around it *chuckle*  Grin

Quino

Vicious IRC marauder

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2008, 04:05:17 am »

I don't see my favourite Shadowdale/Drannor Roll Eyes
Will they stay unmoved?

You have to get rid of the Russians. 90% of these maggots play this game just to cheat and piss off the others [...] who roleplay
Caleb
Premium Member

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2008, 04:09:56 am »

shadowdale and myth drannor are forgotten realms, not dragonlance.
100% sure they are staying tho
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 05:14:02 am by Caleb » Logged
Quino

Vicious IRC marauder

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2008, 04:14:35 am »

Lame me, did not read Tanis's note carefully. Now I understand

You have to get rid of the Russians. 90% of these maggots play this game just to cheat and piss off the others [...] who roleplay
Matthew

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2008, 04:26:03 am »

Will the inn of last home be east of Qualinost, maybe add Solace as a city? It is strange to call the mud Solace but have only the inn of last home... Also Qualinost should be half forest/grassed area and not all 'CITY'.

PS. Adding roads around the cities will do none of the things you suggest, and they couldn't possibly 'find' their own way around the city if there is none coded.

Actually i also wanted to suggest making the guards in the Solamnic cities a bit stronger...

If you want it to make sense, read warders 'laws'.

I don't want it back. You can never get rid of the smell, you know. Besides, that dagger was Flint's!
Tanis Half-Elven
Immortal

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2008, 04:36:54 am »

I don't see my favourite Shadowdale/Drannor Roll Eyes
Will they stay unmoved?

Well I guess I'll spoil small secret..... A side note about western road:
Shadowdale/drannor are not moving, but, there is another large change nearby, and a different area on western road is moving. This is not shown on the map because it is happening regardless of the votes made here. In fact, you will see the western road changes next reboot!

---

Will the inn of last home be east of Qualinost, maybe add Solace as a city?

Without Solace we really have no real place for Inn of the Last Home. At the same time, nobody wants to remove this nice area. So, it will be kept on eastern road. It's a shame about that, but maybe we'll build solace one day, and it can be moved too.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 04:38:39 am by Tanis Half-Elven » Logged
Valeria
Premium Member

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2008, 05:20:08 am »

I must agree with Kage... one of the reasons because I think it makes no sense. Others Kage already mentioned.
Look at it this way, the guys who build the city won't be incentivated to build a road around it for the Warders or Cobar, they would mostly think "f*ck the Warders, f*ck the Cobar. If they don't want to enter the city, they find themselves a way around it. "

Yes, but in "truer"  rp, the warder and cobar themselves would have found/created ways around the cities. So while citybuilders do not build roads around them, it is the others who do. 

Here is another thought, if there is to be no paths around cities for those who would rather not enter (those of nature), then make connections between cities be more forest.  Now they are all non camo/non chameleon areas.  I think it would be more appropriate to make them camo/chameleon areas, with no hiding (sorry thieves and assassins).  In the dragonlance books, many times our heroes were ambushed in forest areas between cities.  So the warders and cobar would say, to bad for the city dwellers who choose to travel between cities, they do so at their own risk.

TBD...
Kage

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2008, 05:33:02 am »

- Only rp way I could come up for this situation is forest areas like flight areas..but this is too much code I imagine.  Like a forestwalk skill for druids and rangers or pathfinding skill for warders and cobar.  Whereby they find hidden trails in uncivilized wooded areas.  For example a forest route from woods south of palanthas to woods south of crossroads but Im just playing devil's advocate against myself I suppose.  I dont think its a great idea.

omledufromage

See you space cowboy...

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2008, 05:46:25 am »

Valeria, you have a point... but then it wouldn't be a road as suggested earlier.
Actually... Kage's idea I find interesting, although I do not wish to give to much work for the coders. I also like Valeria's idea to make more forest in between the cities. Lots of places should be roads in the middle of a forest... so its still a forest, but you see a path in it so you won't get lost.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 05:56:06 am by Argonar » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length